Blogging for beginners
On 20 March, we hosted a workshop at the University of Southern Queensland, Toowoomba campus for STEM (science, technology, engineering and maths) researchers to learn how to write blogs. The workshop was designed to assist researchers in understanding the benefits of blogging and create confidence in writing for a general audience in a more casual online format.
Blogs will be showcased throughout 2019 on Queensland Science Medium.
How to tell your science in a video
We hosted communication training on 2 April at the University of Southern Queensland, Springfield campus to teach participants how to create a video using their mobile device.
The following tips were provided at the training session for video development:
- Understand the audience you want to get to and who you are actually getting
- Create great content, social currency, triggers, emotion, practical value, tell stories
- Engage people in the first FIVE seconds
- Keep it short—less than 2.30 minutes
- Have quality vision and sound
- Establish your identity/brand (own channel)—with an interesting bio
- Write a compelling title
- Create a custom thumbnail
- Include subscription links and website information
- Connect with others—feature others’ channels, watch and comment on others’ videos
Queensland Women in STEM Prize
In February 2019, we hosted (in collaboration with the Office for Women and World Science Festival Brisbane) two communication training sessions designed to equip participants with the skills necessary to enter the 2019 Queensland Women in STEM Prize. The sessions were held in Townsville and Brisbane.
Winners of the 2019 Queensland Women in STEM competition were announced during World Science Festival Brisbane in March 2018:
- Jury Award—Amanda Dawson for her work on impacts of marine pollution on seafood.
- People’s Choice Award—Anu Choudhary for her investigation into non-chemical forms of agricultural weed control.
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Jury Award—Clare Villalba in recognition of her commitment to preventing diabetes-related blindness.