Citizen science projects
There are many science projects that involve community participants as citizen scientists in Queensland.
We use the Australian Citizen Science Association definition: “citizen science involves public participation and collaboration in scientific research with the aim to increase scientific knowledge”.
You can read the Citizen science in Queensland: a review of the current landscape to gain some insights into the types and number of citizen science projects happening in Queensland.
To get involved in citizen science:
- visit the Australian Citizen Science Association website to find a project in your area
- read about the Queensland Citizen Science Grants recipients and their projects
- check out the list of projects relevant to Queensland
- take a look at this map created by SEQ Catchments showing some of the citizen science projects happening in south-east Queensland.
You can be a citizen scientist
Learn about citizen science and all the types of scientific projects you can help in Queensland. Thank you to our Queensland Citizen Science Grants recipients for their support and contributions to this video: • The University…
Learn about citizen science and all the types of scientific projects you can help in Queensland.
Thank you to our Queensland Citizen Science Grants recipients for their support and contributions to this video:
• The University of Queensland - Cane Toad Challenge
• Bulimba Creek Catchment Citizen Science - Fauna nest box monitoring in the Urban Environment
• The Hut Environmental and Community Association - Evaluation of Large-scale Tree Plantings in Brisbane
• BirdLife Australia Ltd. (Southern Queensland Branch) - Powerful Owl project of southern Queensland (videographer - Andrew Silcocks)
• North Queensland Natural History Group Inc. - Queensland Gouldian Finch Study and Awareness Raising
• Cairns and Far North Environment Centre - MangroveWatch Cairns
• The University of Queensland - CoralWatch
• Woodfordia Inc. - The Mycology Research Project
• Cooloola Coastcare - Citizen Scientists Mapping Biodiversity: the Cooloola BioBlitz Series
• SCF Events Pty Ltd - SCF Citizen Science - Recreational Fishing Program
• Conservation Volunteers Australia – Community Action in Conservation: Marine Debris Collection and Analysis
• Sharks and Rays Australia - Citizen Scientist Sawfish Program
• Watergum (formerly Gold Coast Catchment Association) - Gold Coast BioBlitz I-III
• Metro South Hospital and Health Service - The Dignity Project
The Queensland Government has supported 20 recipients of the 2019 Queensland Citizen Science Grants. You can find out about these projects at the Office of the Queensland Chief Scientist website: https://www.chiefscientist.qld.gov.au/science-comms/citizen-science-grants/recipients
You can also find other citizen science projects near you by visiting the Australian Citizen Science Project Finder: https://citizenscience.org.au/ala-project-finder/
If you are interested in citizen science across Australia read the Mapping Citizen Science in Australia – Participant Report prepared by Yaela Golumbic (2020) which presents findings from an online questionnaire aimed to map citizen science in Australia and determine its diverse goals, stakeholders and practices.
Read about the grant recipients
Learn more about the projects funded under the 2019/20 Queensland Citizen Science Grants program so you can so you can get involved in citizen science.